About Tuesday Forum
Tuesday Forum was founded in September 1980, in Bangor. The original mission was "to provide an opportunity to develop business contacts, act as a catalyst to cultivate personal contacts with peers, serve as a resource center for information, and encourage cross referrals between members.” The women’s networking group became the alternative answer for many area professional women who were part of the workforce but found themselves excluded from the groups where business contacts were made and deals were sealed. Within five years, Tuesday Forum boasted nearly 100 members.
Memberships declined in the early ‘90s because of court decisions forcing traditional, men-only clubs like Kiwanis and Rotary to accept women, and Tuesday Forum considered disbanding in 1994. Instead, the core members decided to restructure and recruit. Focused on the unique challenges that working women faced, Tuesday Forum created a new mission statement:
“Tuesday Forum is a networking organization for working women offering support and the opportunity for business and personal growth.”
The meetings were to be a place where professional women could consult with one another on problems, give advice, and, as member Sue McKay stated in a 1994 interview with The Weekly, get “just about everything you need to get ahead that men won’t impart.”
To quote one of the founding members, “Nothing succeeds like success.” In 2010, Tuesday Forum was noted as a unique and vital part of the business community and celebrated its 30th anniversary of supporting strong women and strong networks.
In 2015, Tuesday Forum celebrated its 35th anniversary! Membership continues to grow under a strong leadership team, and professional women from all across the greater Bangor area meet for lunch every Tuesday at the Seasons in Bangor to build relationships, exchange ideas, and take advantage of the collective wealth of information available.
Benefits of joining
As a member of Tuesday Forum, Maine’s premier women’s networking organization, you’re encouraged to take full advantage of your membership benefits.
Be recognized in our online, searchable member directory. Members have their picture, bio, and business information added to the Tuesday Forum website.
Share your news. We love promoting our members on our website and through our social media groups, please email us with your news!
Interested in being a member?
- Network with local professional women. Regularly attend events! Our business card box is shared at each meeting for members and guests to browse, so bring your business cards to share with the group and prepare a brief introduction ahead of time.
- Promote yourself. Tuesday Forum members can promote themselves within the group, either as a business sponsor or by delivering a personal profile at a meeting.
- Receive referrals and recommendations. Our members represent a diverse array of industries. Engage with this dynamic group and build your credibility. Tuesday Forum members love referring their friends and family to other group members.
- Come as much as you can. One of the greatest benefits of being a member of Tuesday Forum is there are no attendance requirements. We know how busy life can be and our membership works with your schedule.
- Win prizes! Each month our business sponsor raffles off a coupon, gift card, or other prize and all attending Tuesday Forum members are entered into the drawing.